WHO WE ARE
A team of youngsters from downtrodden families of most underdeveloped villages in a remote corner of south India, Tamil Nadu’s typical rural setting, representing margin communities floated ROSE in Pudukkottai district, one of the most backward districts of India…
Persistent drought conditions, lack of resources, abject economic poverty, social discrimination, and lack of access to education and health were the crushing challenges before the team. Ensuring social and political space for the communities towards rebuilding dignity and fight poverty from bottom up is the vision and conviction of the team.
Adhappan The source of inspiration and visionary behind this process
- Belongs to vulnerable sections of the communities
- Marginal farmers & landless agricultural daily wage labourers, women
- Part & Parcel of the discriminated communities
“Greener Livelihood endowed with Equity, Dignity & Justice”
- Rebuilding the capacities of the margin communities towards ensuring sustainable livelihood security
- Strategic intervention balancing science and knowledge management
- Building /working with broader alliance
COMMUNITIES WE WORK WITH
- women – margin communities, below-poverty line category,
- their children, youth & adolescent girls who are exposed to risk conditions
- small and marginal farmers – ‘pushed-outs’ off any socio-economic safety net/schemes
- their men folk who migrated to nearby towns under distress conditions and living under in-human conditions in the towns as unorganized labourers
- artisan fishermen and fisherwomen – usually the resource poor, original native fisher community in the east coast villages of the district
- To mobilize the workers in the unorganized sectors and ensure their welfare & development.
- Ensure equal access to natural resources, legal provisions and democratic spaces of women enabling them in fighting the socio-cultural/political barriers of gender bias, discrimination.
- To strengthen resource poor women through community mobilization & capacity building in order to protect their legislative rights /constitutionally assured spaces towards broadening their bargaining power.
- To promote sustainable agriculture system and ensure sustainable development to all the rural communities.
- To protect the land & water resource and ecosystems.
- To build the capacities and skills of the vulnerable communities in disaster risk reduction /management/resettlement and rehabilitation processes as the district is more prone to disasters - such as drought, cyclones, floods, and tsunami.
- To take up special programs for the children of socially, educationally and economically weaker sections.
- To take up alternative and sustainable economic development programmes exclusively for the women of most vulnerable.
- To organize women into associations & federations ensuring their participation, empowerment and self-reliance by taking up government schemes and programmes and projects for their own development and of the community in general.
- To run non-formal education centers for the children, youth, women, adults and other illiterates.
- To involve in agro-forestry, animal husbandry and other eco-friendly environmental and economic programmes.